Keele University, in the UK Midlands, plays host to a unique character - Neil Baldwin. Neil wrote a book about his colourful life that was made into a BBC film - Marvellous. Neil also lists his occupation as "Clown" but has also been Stoke City kit man, Keele University greeter and his own football club player-captain.
Neil knows a thing or two about student engagement. Lessons that many academics could follow:
|PICTURE BY MOUSE GRAPHICS AT FREEDIGITALIMAGES.COM|
- access to tutors at sensible times
- knowledge of both academic and pastoral support available
- time to spend with those who need it most
- a relationship built on mutual trust
- people who care
- lecturers wearing baggy trousers (or is that just Neil the Clown?)
P.S. Neil @Keele does not fake it.