Now keep your hands up if you have used any of these devices in YOUR teaching...
|PICTURE BY ARTEMISPHOTO AT FREEDIGITALPHOTOS.NET|
There are some basic features that make an effective simulation :
- The sense of competition - we love to win;
- Risk and the unknown - not everything can be controlled by an easy algorithm;
- Opportunity to put lessons to use (feedback plus repetition)
- Complexity - just like real life, and
- Reward - Normally the warm glow of a job well done...
Oh, and another vital couple of ingredients:
- Imagination from the tutor and the students, and
- Risk (again) - but this time on the part of the tutor, its so much easier to conform and to make it easy for yourself.